Nigeria declares emergency after rapes triple under lockdown

“I know we have always had rape in this country, but with the lockdown of people in homes because of COVID-19, women and children are locked down with their abusers,” said the minister of women’s affairs, Pauline Tallen.

Officials did not say how many rapes have occurred during the lockdown that was declared in late March for major cities and has since begun to loosen.

Nigeria’s justice minister, Abubakar Malami, said an inter-ministerial committee will be inaugurated immediately to propose legislative changes to ensure that sexual violence is dealt with in line with international best practices.

In an address to the nation on Friday, President Muhammadu Buhari said he is “upset at recent incidents of rape, especially of very young girls” and assured Nigerian women of his administration’s determination to fight gender-based violence.

Nigerians were shocked when a university student in Benin city, was raped and killed in a church where she had gone to read last month.

On Thursday in Benue state, police announced the arrest of four men accused of raping minors aged between 6 and 15. One of the suspects was accused of raping a 7-year-old inside a church.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *