The Cannes Film Festival has been postponed to reduce the spread of the coronavirus — perhaps the most high-profile cultural event to be affected by the outbreak so far. The event, one of the world’s most important film festivals, was meant to run from May 12 to May 23, but organizers said in a statement on Thursday that could not happen.
“Several hypotheses are being studied to preserve the festival, the main one of which would be a simple postponement,” the organizers’ statement said. That could be a shift to late June or early July, it said.
Once the health situation is better known, the organizers will make a decision after discussions with the authorities, it added.
“Until then, the Cannes Film Festival joins its voice with all those who ask that each and every one respects general confinement and shows solidarity in these difficult times for the whole world.”
“See you soon,” the statement added.
Spike Lee had been chosen to head the Cannes festival’s jury this year, the first black person to do so in the festival’s 73-year history.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.